Acorn Squash stuffed with sausage and mushroom goodness

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Since it's autumn now I feel that I need to cook more often with squash. Not only is it cheaper now as well as locally grown, it's also healthy and reminds me of fall. It's also a fairly easy way to make dinner.

This time I decided to cook an acorn squash, cut it in half (not easy if you don't have a sharp knife, I actually had to call the hubby in to help me get it cut all the way through!) and set it in a casserole dish with the flesh side up. Take a fork and poke some holes into the flesh so the juices and such can get down inside and cook into the squash. The hubby suggested adding a drizzle of honey onto the flesh of the squash because I was using honey garlic sausage to fill it. So I cut a little butter and put it in the hollow of each half of the squash and drizzled honey over it.
Stuffed Acorn Squash

Cutting down the casing of a honey garlic sausage, I squeezed the meat out and took chunks of it and put them in the squash raw. Two sausages may work better for some people, one for each half. I then took quartered button mushrooms and added them to the sausage filled squash. Sprinkle the top with salt and pepper to taste. Pre-heat the oven to 350F and set the squash inside to cook for about an hour or till the flesh of the squash is soft and the sausage is cooked fully.


Because I only had one squash it was plenty for two people but not three, and also because this was more of an experiment than anything, I decided to give the little one something else for dinner (whole wheat cheese quesadilla and a salad). Both the hubby and I said it was good but a little dry to the bottom of the squash so I will be either adding more honey, more butter, or both and probably cooking for a little longer time. I also didn't cover the squash and that may have had something to do with it :) but the taste was great, so will definitely try again, just tweak a few things.

1 comments:

Divina Pe said...

I love squash, mushrooms and sausage. Simple but so flavorful. So now, I have to find some acorn squash. Lovely dish Rochelle.

 

Flickr