Pastéis De Feijão - What came of Black beans and Coconut


I got lucky and was chosen to compete in the Foodie Fight over at www.foodiefights.com. Well they choose two ingredients for the competitors to use (cannot be an protein, but can be anything else). The coming Monday we are to "ready our posts" and submit our favorite picture of the dish.

Well this is my first Foodie Fight, so naturally they came up with something interesting... Black beans and coconut! I have to admit to all the other competitors that I was one of the people (maybe the only one) that suggested black beans, so for that ingredient everyone can blame me, but it did make for some interesting ideas (at least for me). At first I couldn't think of anything, then I remembered seeing black bean brownies before. I was going to make those with coconut in them and on top, but when I saw that Tasty Eats at Home made some black bean brownies of her own, I figured I needed to come up with something else because I was sure at least one other person would make something like them.

I looked around via google for "black beans and coconut" and it came up with a lot of black beans and coconut rice and things like them. So I figured those were out. The hubby suddenly had an idea. As some people may remember, my husband is Portuguese, as in from the western most country of Europe, Portugal, Portuguese. Well he remembered a food he would eat fairly often called Pasteis De Feijao (the spelling with the accents in the title are the correct way of spelling it). They are a bean tart, normally made with white beans and slivered almonds. I of course changed the white beans to black beans and changed the slivered almonds to shredded coconut (an actual coconut by the way).

The original recipes (yes more than one as one forgot to mention any milk/water for the crust of the tart) we found for it were in Portuguese, so I had to convert all the measurements from grams/ml to cups/tablespoons as well as my husband needing to translate all the words for me.

Crust Recipe (your favorite pie crust would work here as well)

3 cups (250 grams) All purpose Flour (I used whole wheat)
1/2 (125 grams) cup butter
2 egg whites
1/2 - 1 cup of milk or water

Filling for Tarts
1 can drained/rinsed black beans (The recipe said 50 grams cooked beans assuming they used dry beans)
3 cups (250 grams) sugar (I used half sugar half splenda)
3/4 cup (60 grams) coconut
1/2 cup water
6 egg yolks

Mix flour, egg whites and butter (use it cold and cut it up into smaller pieces). Add in liquid, but make sure it's not too much, just enough to make the dough. Should be the consistency of a pie crust. Set to the side and rest. I put mine in the freezer to make it easier to handle (I basically treated mine as you would a pie crust though it didn't say to do so in the original recipes we were looking at).

Take your black beans and turn it into a paste, by either using a blender of sorts or take a spoon and mash them up with the back of the spoon till they are all about the same consistency (looks like re-fried beans almost), set aside. Put the sugar/splenda into a pan with the 1/2 cup of water, and bring it to a boil. Allow to boil for 3 minutes and take it off the stove. Mix in bean paste and shredded coconut/coconut milk (if you have it from the coconut). Set back on stove and let boil a couple more minutes then take off the stove and allow to cool down. Whisk the 6 egg yolks and mix them into the bean mixture after it's cooled a little.

Pre-heat oven to 400F. Roll out the dough fairly thin (about half the thickness of a normal pie crust). Put the dough in either little pie tins or a muffin pan and spoon bean/coconut mixture into each and let bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or till filling looks firm. Take out and let cool before eating.

The only thing about the recipe I will be changing for the next time I make this is less sugar as it was just a bit too sweet for the hubby and myself though our son loved it :). Oh and I wound up making a lot of dough, I used only half of it but will be using the rest for a pie that I'll be making for the Canadian Thanksgiving this coming up weekend.


As for the Foodie Fight, you should definitely check out the other contenders and their posts, just click here to go to a list of the other wonderful recipes and vote!

9 comments:

Helenismos said...

They look really yummy!
Of course that I also know they were delicious! :0)
It sure brings sweet memories back!
I will try to make them one of this days, and let you all know how they came out.
Lena

Divina Pe said...

That's a new way to serve black beans. What a teamwork for you and your husband. Ingenious. And you were able to get some real coconuts too.

Angie said...

These look really good, cool picture too!

lucinda said...

This was by far the best entry! you got my vote!

Unknown said...

Lena - Thank you! I'm so glad your son remembered this from back in Portugal :)

Divina - I was pretty shocked when I tasted this because it was so good(little too sweet but very very good). The hubby was good enough to translate it all for me and he cracked open the coconut so he definitely deserves a good portion of the credit. Have to work with him on other things again :)

Angie - Thank you!

Felice - So glad you liked them and thank you for the vote!

Marina said...

Que delícia!
Adorei ver esta versão dos pastéis com feijão preto e coco!
É claro que vou votar nesta receita!
;)

Unknown said...

Marina - Thank you! I'm so glad that you like this version and you find it good enough to vote for!

Translated by hubby:

Marina - Obrigado! Estou muito contente que tenha gostado desta versão dos pastéis e que a tenha achado suficientemente boa para votar nela!

Bonnie said...

I made this it was really good.

Pixiebits said...

Tried this today. I reduced the amount of sugar and halved the egg yolks and (because I'm lazy)rolled out storebought pie crusts. I was really impressed by the flavor combo. Now to see if I can get my picky eaters to try it so I don't eat them all...

 

Flickr