Waffles with Apple and Plum sauce



wafflewithplumapplesauce
On occasion I decide to make something special for breakfast. Normaly around here we have cereal and coffee, maybe muffins we get from the store, or some toast with jam. I decided this time we needed something different, something really good and something I don't do even close to often.

My son loves pancakes. My husband and I don't. My son also LOVES maple syrup. My Husband and I aren't even close to fond of it. I decided that I would compromise. I made waffles instead of pancakes (thanks to my mother-in-law giving us a waffle maker :D!) and I had two granny smith apples, about 5 young yellow plums (saw these at the store and had to grab a few) and decided I was going to use these for a sauce to put on top of the waffles.

I used a pancake/waffle mix to make my waffles but I know many people who like to make things from scratch so I'm adding a recipe for a basic waffle batter as well. I also added a few things to my own waffle batter, 2 tablespoons vanilla extract and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon.

Basic Waffle Batter
2 cups sifted flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 eggs, separated

1 1/2 cups milk

5 tablespoons of melted shortening
wafflewithplumapplesauceH3
Mix and sift dry ingredients. Combine beaten egg yolks, milk and shortening; add to dry ingredients, beating until smooth. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour batter into each section of a hot waffle iron. Cook waffles until crispy and browned. Waffle recipe serves 6.

As for the sauce, peel and slice two granny smith apples (if you aren't into sour stuff use a red or yellow apple instead) setting them to the side in a bowl. Quarter the yellow plums (I'm sure using the normal red/purple ones will work just as well) and put them in the same bowl as the apples. Grab a sauce pan, put it on the stove at a med-low heat, add the apples and plums to the pan and about half a cup of sugar (I used Splenda) and sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of cinnamon into it. Let that cook for about 4 minutes, keeping a close eye and stirring regularly. Add in 2 teaspoons of corn flour and mix it in well. If it seems too thick for your liking add in about a quarter cup of water and mix it in. The sauce and fruit should be clear but shiny. Take off the stove and top the waffles with it. If you have sauce left over, use it on ice cream or yogurt, it's a fantastic way to use it up!
wafflewithplumapplesauceonfork3
The little one wasn't fond of the sauce, it was a bit too sour for him. The hubby said about the same thing, but said it was perfect on the waffles. I gave in to the want of maple syrup for the little one, but have since decided he didn't know what he was missing with the apple plum sauce!

0 comments:

 

Flickr