Spinach, Mushroom, Goat Cheese and Red Bell Pepper Tart


spinachgoatcheesemushroomtartV I was looking for something quick and easy for dinner the other night. Looking in the freezer I saw some frozen spinach (unfortunately the fresh spinach at the store hadn't looked too fresh when I had last gone, so frozen it was), and the box of puff pastry. Thinking I might be able to come up with something with these two items, I proceeded to take them out and let them thaw. Turning back to the fridge, I took a look inside to see what else I had, coming up with mushrooms and red bell peppers. At this point things were looking good, but I needed something creamy, something that would help the flavors blend together. Goat cheese was it.

Now if you've never had goat cheese, I'd say the texture is like a softened cream cheese, very spreadable and soft. The taste more sharp than a regular cheese or cheddar, some may say it's "tart" because of the goat milk instead of cow milk, but it's also very creamy.

spinachgoatcheesemushroomtartcloseThe rest of the prep was easy. Slice about half of the red bell pepper into strips, grab some garlic and mince it, and slice the mushrooms. Roll the thawed puff pastry out on a cookie sheet and set the oven to 350F. Drain the spinach, making sure most of the liquid in it is squeezed out, spread it over the pastry leaving about a half inch of crust around the edges. Spread the mushrooms around on top of the spinach, then the bell pepper, and last the minced garlic. Now is when you get to put that delicious goat cheese on top of it all. Pull it apart in little chunks and just let it drop on top. Salt and pepper to taste and set it in the oven for approx. 15-20 minutes or till the puff pastry is a nice golden brown.

spinachgoatcheesemushroomtartcloseH
This can take about 5 minutes of prep as long as things are thawed out prior, and it looks pretty and tastes even better!

3 comments:

TasteStopping said...

This tart looks scrumptious. My husband is fanatical about planning our menus and trips to the grocery store, leaving me very little opportunity to forage and be proud of myself for coming up with something this tasty on the spot. But! I will keep this in mind the next time I'm in the mood for something quick and delicious (and pretty healthy!) Better yet, I'll sneak it into the menu that my hubs plans!

I saw your Tweet about FG and TS and wanted to swing by to let you know about my new site, TasteStopping. It's a site that publishes all the rejects from the other big food photo sites. I hope you'll come and check it out (and consider submitting your rejected photots)!

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

Bonnie said...

I tried this one. It was great. The kids loved it.
Mom

christine said...

Hello! I found this blog in Foodista and followed it here. Lovely and mouthwatering photos. By the way you can place more Foodista widget in your past and future blogs so that other Foodista readers can follow and see your blog too. Just search for a related recipe or food in Foodista and use its widget. I hope to read more from you. Cheers!

 

Flickr