Fajitas - Pulled pork with homemade tortillas, you can't go wrong!


The other day I posted about homemade whole wheat flour tortillas and that you can use them with a number of different things. Fajitas were one of the things I mentioned and I felt the need to show what mine looked like with the pulled pork that I had from the other day when I decided I needed something different than a pulled pork sandwich (after about 3 days of sandwiches I tend to need to change things up a little :D).

Fajitas were originally made with skirt steak but now other meats such as chicken, pork, and shrimp are used. Normally these types of meat are sliced thinly and are usually cooked with bell pepper and onions. As you can see I didn't have slices of pork, instead I have my pulled pork which works great with this.

I like mine with cooked slices of onion and sliced bell pepper, so cook this up for about 5 minutes in a pan at medium heat with a little oil to keep it from sticking. Add in a bit of salt to taste while this cooks up. The onions and bell pepper should be soft but still have a bite to them when they are done and the green of the pepper should still be vibrant. Take this out of the pan and set to the side.

Add your meat to the pan as well as any hot sauce you like, in this case I used a few dashes of Tabasco sauce. Let this heat up, cooking it for about 5 minutes (of course this is as long as it's already been cooked), then toss in the bell pepper and onion slices and allow them to cook a couple of more minutes together. Make sure to keep an eye on them, as the meat can stick easily.

Serving this can go a couple different ways. Either you can put the meat and veggie mix on the plate and the tortillas to the side or you can put the meat and veggies on top of the tortillas and eat it like a soft taco. The hubby prefers the soft taco method to the breaking off pieces of the tortillas and using that to pick up the meat and veggies to eat. He also prefers me not to add tomato to his, but I love tomato so I had a couple of big wedges on mine.

I have to say this is the best fajita I've ever had, I think it's due to the fact that the tortillas were homemade. The hubby thought these were great too. I didn't give any of this to the little one as he was at school and this was our lunch. It probably took all of 10 minutes to make and was an easy, healthy lunch that we both enjoyed!

11 comments:

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

all I can say is !wowowow my mouth is drooling delish!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures, I'm getting hungry looking at these and I don't even eat pork!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Wonderful pics, and this sounds like a tasty meal!

Unknown said...

Oh Baby! These make me hungry. I'm going to try making homemade corn tortillas this weekend. I'll give the rest of your recipe a go to accompany them! Thanks.

motherrimmy said...

You take such great pictures. I love the simplicity of these fajitas. They look fantastic!

figtree said...

I just found your blog and Im in heaven! Your photos are beautiful. I will be making this for dinner TONIGHT.Much thanks.

Cookin' Canuck said...

Beautiful photos and I am so impressed that you made your own tortillas!

Cocina Savant said...

This is a beautiful dish. Nice photography and combination of ingredients.

Jessie said...

beautiful fajitas! you hit it right on the money with the homemade tortillas. Now I'm craving for some fajitas mmmmm :)

Divina Pe said...

Beautiful photos. Very up close and personal. Now, I couldn't resist. After having too much Chinese food at my brother's wedding and still finishing some leftovers, I would love to have these for a change. It's best fajitas because you made it with lots of tender, love and care. :)

Unknown said...

pegasuslegend - Thank you :)

experimentalculinarypursuits - Thanks! You can do this with more veggies or a different meat like chicken, beef, or fish too :)

tastyeatsathome - Thanks!

Chelsey - Great! Hope you enjoy!

Mother Rimmy - Thank you! I think it's all about natural lighting :) The fajitas are very simple and easy, making it a great meal.

figtree - I'm so glad you found me! Let me know how it turns out!

Cookin' Canuck - Thank you! The tortillas are fairly easy to make and so worth it!

Cocina Savant - Thank you :)

Jessie - The homemade tortillas totally made the dish :)

Divina - Thank you, you are too sweet :)

 

Flickr