Chorizo on Fire

Chroizo

Back in December I tweeted about getting something in the mail from Portugal. For those of you who don't know, that's where husband is from originally, and most of his family still lives there. Well my father-in-law was nice enough to send some food goodies (I'm still amazed it got here without any hassle!) like wine, little bottles of Port, piri piri peppers, salted cod, and chouriço (we spell it chorizo in English because obviously we don't have the "ç" in our language). 
Chroizo


I, being the cook in the house as well as the food lover, was all kinds of thrilled to be able to play around with new ingredients. The hubby, being the Portuguese man that he is, was thrilled because he got to have food that reminded him of home! 


One of the first things he decided to cook was the chouriço. Now, I've never actually tried to cook this kind of sausage, therefore it was all up to the hubby to do this. First of all he boiled the chouriço, on recommendation from his father, for about 10 minutes. Next, he pulled out this great dish, that until then I had no idea what to do with. 



ChroizoThis is basically a chouriço cooker. Assa Chouriço Portugal, is what is written on the front. I asked the hubby what "assa" meant and his response was that it is a word that means basically to cook, but used with a certain type of cooking, over flame or with fire to be more specific, though the term would be used if you were to roast something as well. So you can guess the excitement that this produced in the little one when he found out we were going to set something on fire!




In the bottom of the chouriço cooker, pour just a little bit of alcohol, by little I mean just barely more than enough to coat the bottom or there will be a huge flame and probably fire alarms sounding off, as exciting as this may be, it's really not that fun running around trying to shut the stupid things off or talking to the fire department and trying to explain why you were setting things on fire in your home... better yet, do this outside if you can!



Chroizo

Set the chouriço, with shallow slices along the top, on the "rack" of the dish. Using a long BBQ lighter or really long matches (like the kind for stoves and stuff) light that alcohol on fire. This will burn, pop, and sizzle at the sausage for a few minutes, just make sure to keep an eye on it, which of course shouldn't be too difficult, someone with even the worst case of ADHD usually gets captivated by fire :D. The outside will turn black and singed but don't worry, this means it's cooked and inside will be nice and tasty!
Chroizo



This is what you get when it gets done!! Yes, we all loved it, it was a little bit spicy but even the little one liked it. If you get the chance to have it this way please do!



chorico
Remember: If you aren't an adult don't attempt this please... by adult I mean old enough to drink alcohol legally or live in your own place (no, your own place doesn't mean in your bedroom at your parents' house) or possibly to be old enough to take full responsibility for burning down your home.


 

23 comments:

Ed Schenk said...

What a wonderful care package and a beautiful Post!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

Great post!!!!

Divina Pe said...

Wow, that is amazing!! It's so nice to receive food package from another country. :)

Food o' del Mundo said...

How much FUN!
Portugal is on our short list of vacation destinations.
LOVE the fire photos! ~Mary

Anonymous said...

This looks fabulous! Do you know if such cookware is available in the US?

Unknown said...

Ed Schenk - Thanks! It was very fun to receive all those goodies :)

Pegasusledgend - Thank you!

Divina - It was great! I loved having something new to play with in the kitchen :)

Mary - Very fun! I can't wait until we get to go visit, Portugal.

Zia - Thanks :) I don't know if you can get them in the states right now, but if I find out where I'll be sure to post it :D

Unknown said...

Isn't it lovely to get foodie gifts? That roasted sausage looks sooo good and the flaming presentation was so stunning. Fantastic photo

Unknown said...

That dish is so damn awesome. Thanks for the great post about it!

Jeanne said...

I love that dish! It's like a little mini grill. I've never seen one before, so I'm assuming that we can't get them here in the US. :(

Lo said...

I love it. I had no idea there was such a think as a chouriço cooker -- but I'm impressed. And a little jealous. Such drama over a little sausage :)

♥ mesa para 4 said...

Oh That´s all Portugal that´s for sure :D Great description and photos a big hug for you and "um grande abraço" for hubby :D

FOODalogue said...

Oh, I love this! And I want one! Great photos.

lobstersandwich said...

Great post. And the photos...WOW. Can't wait to read and see more!!
Cheers
SAUCY

penny aka jeroxie said...

That is amazing! I never kknew. I want!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I have total chouriço envy!

Björn Pål said...

Despite my nick name I'm portuguese. I happened to find your blog through Foodgawker, and I really liked this post.
I just wanted to give a little piece of my mind on how to roast/grill the chouriço: if you can finde, you should use some sort of Portuguese "aguardente" (similar to Italian grappa - which you can use) it will taste even better!
And if you happen to find fresh "chouriço" (do not confuse with fresh sausage), one that's not too dry or hardened ,you don't need to pre-boil it, just go ahead and grill it.
Nice blog, by the way ;)

Anonymous said...

to be fair, lots of portuguese are old enough to drink and still live with mom and dad. ;)

emma said...

excellent, had this in a tapas bar last week and bought a little piggy to try it at home. flame burns out all the time :( We will keep trying! Thanks for the instructions!

silly little buildings said...

if anyone is interested in trying this out, I just put a cute Pig shaped assa chourico cooker on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280745615458

Carla said...

I am looking for one of those chourico cookers - might you have another one to sell or where I can purchase one?

Unknown said...

I've only seen these chourico cookers here in Portugal. I'm starting to think I need to start exporting them though!

Sweet Caroline said...

I live in CA and have seen the cookers at various Portuguese import stores here. I bought one for us and one for me in-laws. I have not seen any recently but saw this online: http://www.portuguesefood.com/products/Chouriceiro-Pig-%28Large%29-.html

Iberica said...

I love Chorizo cooked this way - it's so quick and easy and you can't beat it with a round of Iberian appetisers. We sell them at http://www.iberica.com.au/Pottery/assa-chorizo-1/assa-chorizo#.UYDi84IuEsY and ship worldwide.

 

Flickr